Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: Madame Milly Eye Shadow Duo #3

The kit this is from was purchased for me by my husband a few months ago. I am not sure if the same kit is still available; this series of reviews is intended to help with deciding whether future purchases from this brand is worthwhile.




Eyeshadow:    Madame Milly: Duo #3 - Lighter Shade



From Left to right:

With Primer/Applied with brush
No Primer/Applied with brush
With Primer/Applied with finger
No Primer/Applied with finger

Applied At:    11:00 AM

Cost: (Without any discounts)    Kits at Kohl's range from $20 to $40.  Kohl's does run regular sales so I always recommend waiting for one of those when considering makeup there.

Shimmer:     Yes

Crease time without primer:   

Two hours; this wasn't much of a surprise because I had expected that once I got to colors that the creasing would start showing more quickly.  I suspect the other shades probably creased this quickly without the primer as well, but because they were so close to skin tones that it didn't show easily no matter what light I viewed it under.

Crease time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

At 5:00pm when I checked I thought I saw creasing, but when I pulled the lashes down to check for a line there was none there.  While I do not require a heavily visible line to call the crease time, it does still need to be there when the eye lid is pulled flat. I am using a multiplier mirror and bright lights when checking for a crease to catch it at the earliest possible time. Continuing with the testing.  At 7:00 pm there is now a crease line so eight hours.  Will be testing again tomorrow to confirm the time.  Second day of testing, tried with primer on both lids.  The right eye lid lasted all 11 hours with no creasing.  The left eye lasted eight hours but the creasing was only on the very inner corner of the eye, but was noticeable so I had to call it a crease.

Fade time without primer:   

Two hours; the fade on this was all on the lid area which I believe has all transferred to the crease line I am seeing.

Fade time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

While the crease appeared after eight hours, it is still mostly holding color at this time.  One the second day of testing after eight hours the right side eye did seem more faded than the left side eye which was odd since it was the left side that was creasing.

Fallout on to the rest of the face:   

Didn't really get fallout while applying.  Never noticed fallout the rest of the day

Can I actually see the color on the lid:   

Yes, although I would call it more of a bright wash of color than a fully opaque/dense color, but it was definitely the same color as the one in the pan.

Day or Night makeup:   

Day makeup, but not if I am going to be at something important.  Since I got different results with the same application on two different eye lids I am not completely confident in this, but since it did take eight hours to crease both times on at least one eye lid I do feel like it can be used.


Eyeshadow:    Madame Milly: Duo #3 - Darker Shade



From Left to right:

With Primer/Applied with brush
No Primer/Applied with brush
With Primer/Applied with finger
No Primer/Applied with finger

Applied At:    1:00 PM

Shimmer:    Yes, lots of it.

Crease time without primer:   

Two hours, very light crease line, will keep watching because it is not obvious from more than a foot away.  Crease is more obvious after 30 more minutes.  Second test showed no creasing after two hours.  Three hours and there is a very light crease line.

Crease time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Two hours and 30 minutes, although that may be because I didn't apply enough of the primer.  Decided to retest on the same day with slightly more primer.  New start time is 3:45 pm.  Didn't crease after 11 hours, removed and went to bed.

Fade time without primer:   

Two hours and 30 minutes, noticing fading on the lid, probably from transferring to the crease.  Three hours on the second test there is some light fading on the eye lid.

Fade time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Didn't notice any fading after 11 hours, although it might have been slightly lighter in color than it started out.

Fallout on to the rest of the face:   

Tiny bit of fallout on the cheeks while being applied.  I also found that the green transferred to the inner corner on the lid without the primer.

Can two colors from the same brand be blended together:   

If blending, blend carefully has the colors almost completely blended off the lid, but I was pushing pretty hard.  A light handed blending brush works better with these two.  Color can still be seen, even with a hard blending, but only barely.

Can I actually see the color on the lid:   

Yes, this goes on at full color intensity with one swipe in the pan and then dapping on the lid.

Day or Night makeup:   

Day makeup, this is a very vivid green for me and I really like the way it shows on the lid and as a crease color with a gentle blending.

Tips:   

This eye shadow has a lot of punch behind it so if you plan to use it as an accent color I would recommend using the edge of a flat shader brush, just dipping the tip in, to get it placed exactly where you want it and then gentlely blending if needed since it does tend to blend away if not over a sticky base.

Website for brand:   

http://www.madamemilly.com/
http://www.pacificsales.co.uk/madame-milly.html

No comments:

Post a Comment