Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Madame Milly Eye Shadow Duo #2

The kit this is from was purchased for me by my husband a few months ago.  I am not sure if the same kit is still available; this series of reviews is intended to help with deciding whether future purchases from this brand is worthwhile.

This review took longer to complete because my tube of e.l.f. eye primer cracked the lid and now doesn't seal properly.  A new tube has been purchased and was used to retest the lighter eye shadow to make sure it got a fair assessment.




Eyeshadow:    Madame Milly: Duo #2 - Lighter Shade


From Left to right:

With Primer/Applied with brush
No Primer/Applied with brush
With Primer/Applied with finger
No Primer/Applied with finger

Applied At:    10:45:00 AM  second day applied at 10:30 am

Cost: (Without any discounts)    Kits at Kohl's range from $20 to $40.  Kohl's does run regular sales so I always recommend waiting for one of those when considering makeup there.

Shimmer:

Yes, but very light

Crease time without primer:   

Five hours and 15 minutes.  This was very hard to see even under bright lights as it blended into the eye lid color so well.  On the second testing there was a barely showing crease line after seven hours.

Crease time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Five hours and 15 minutes.  This was very hard to see even under bright lights as it blended into the eye lid color so well.  This oddly creased at the same time as the without primer side.  I plan to test this again tomorrow just to make sure it wasn't a flaw in the amount of primer used or not letting it set fully.  The second test lasted 10 hours and 45 minutes before there was a very light crease.

Fade time without primer:   

Because this is the same color as my eye lid I really cannot give a time for this.

Fade time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Because this is the same color as my eye lid I really cannot give a time for this.

Fallout on to the rest of the face:   

No fallout on the face while applying.  After four hours the no primer side did have some shimmer fallout, while the primer side did not appear to have any fallout.

Can I actually see the color on the lid:   

This color is almost the same as the hyper-pigmentation I have on my eye lids so it is difficult to see.  I can see the color during the first pat on to the lid when the whole lid isn't covered in it so there is pigmentation, it is just really hard to see eye shadow that is so close to my natural lid color and this one isn't as shinny as the others so I don't have shimmer to help guide me.

Day or Night makeup:   

Day makeup, for me this is a good color to match with my eye lid color and not have tons of shimmer all over the place if I don't want it.  I could also see using it as a highlight under the brow bone if I don't want something as shimmery as the first Madame Milly Duo reviewed.

Eyeshadow:    Madame Milly: Duo #2 - Darker Shade


From Left to right:

With Primer/Applied with brush
No Primer/Applied with brush
With Primer/Applied with finger
No Primer/Applied with finger
 
Applied At:    1:30 PM

Cost: (Without any discounts)    Kits at Kolh's range from $20 to $40.  Kolh's does run regular sales so I always recommend waiting for one of those when considering makeup there.

Shimmer:

Yes, but very light, doesn't really show on the side with the eye primer.

Crease time without primer:   

Seven hours and 30 minutes, thin line was showing.

Crease time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Removed after 11 hours due to a migraine and needing to go to bed.

Fade time without primer:   

Never really faded.

Fade time with e.l.f. eyeshadow primer:   

Never really faded.

Fallout on to the rest of the face:   

There was a little fallout on both sides of the face but I didn't really tap off the excess today so that may have been more me than it.

Can two colors from the same brand be blended together:   

Yes, the darker shade defuses a lot, but it is still apparent that the lid is a good bit lighter than the crease.

Can I actually see the color on the lid:   

This is the first one that was obvious on the lid without having to hold the pan to the eye to see if it was the same color.  It does look like the color in the pan when applied to the lid on my MAC NW10 skin tone.

Day or Night makeup:   

Day makeup; as I looked at the two colors together on my eye lids to see how well they blended my first thought was that if I worked somewhere that required regular public contact, this would be a good duo to use because it does help show the eyes, but it is so subtle that most would not realize I was wearing it.  For me that makes this the ideal duo because while I do also wear makeup that is very obvious, my favorite form of makeup has always been the makeup you can't actually see and I find that to be the most comfortable to use when publicly representing work.

Tips:   

When I think of this duo, it is something of the ideal eye shadow starting point for me because the lighter shade is almost the same color as my eye lid if not the same color and the darker shade, when blended really does just look like a shadow.  My tip here is that no matter what your skin tone, finding an eyeshadow shade that is the same color as your skin for the eye lid and then a second one that is a couple of shades darker for the crease is probably the best way to start out with eye shadow if you are determined to use more than one color and I truly do believe that to start out with a color that matches the lid is all you really need to get used to applying.  If you are just trying to enhance your eyes then sticking with colors that could actually appear on your skin naturally is probably the best way to go, as once you start shifting away from those it can get very distracting.  This doesn't mean I don't believe in using color on the eye lids, I have and still do, I just also believe that the more subtle the makeup, the nicer and more youthful it looks.

Website for brand:   

http://www.madamemilly.com/
http://www.pacificsales.co.uk/madame-milly.html

No comments:

Post a Comment