Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: MUA (Makeup Academy Professional) No-Crease Eye Shadow Base

This was purchased for me, by my husband, at CVS.



This is not going to be a positive review. I have heard a review by one other person that was positive. This may work for you, or it may not work for you, I would not spend the $11 to find out when the $5 Wet n Wild Fergie primer works significantly better. Now, on with the review...




The statement on the back of the packaging says:

Professional makeup artists prefer a velvety smooth texture to create the prefect canvas. This universal nude shade dries down sheer. The potent cream formula attracts eye shadow pigments to enhance longevity and vibrancy of eye shadow, creating a crease-free, freshly applied appearance. Drastically enhances the staying power of eye shadow and minimizes smudging of eyeliner by smoothing and prepping skin in one step.
To Apply: Apply a small amount of product onto each eyelid, blending up to brow bone using pads of fingers or synthetic brush.


How it worked for me:

I used this, for the month of October, on one eye lid, while using the e.l.f. $2 primer on the other eye lid as the e.l.f. primer is my standard for testing all eye shadows. With the e.l.f. eye lid primer I was generally able to get between 6 to 8 hours of wear depending on the formula of the eye shadow from either of the two MUA palettes I was testing. With the MUA No-Crease Eye Shadow Base, the eye shadow was usually creasing before I finished applying my makeup (I do my eye shadow first, then the face) with an average crease time running somewhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour. This is an $11 primer, I thought it would last at least as long as the $2 primer. On the days that I used the Wet n Wild Fergie primer that I use for blending tests, eye shadows from both palettes lasted at a minimum of 12 hours.

When I saw a review from someone else saying the primer was amazing and lasted all day, I searched trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I am not sure I was doing anything wrong as I tried using the tiniest amount I could squeeze out, moderate amounts, even large amounts; it never seemed to matter how I used this, it creased very quickly. The only hypothesis I can come to as to why it didn't work for me and it did work for someone else, is perhaps I have much more oily eye lids than her. I also cannot say it really improved the appearance of the eye shadow even immediately after being applied, so I am not able to at least confirm the part about enhancing the pigmentation.

If I ever find a way to make it work as an eye shadow base, I will update this review, but for now all I can say is, if you have oily eye lids, buy the Wet n Wild Fergie primer for $5 at Walgreens; it has worked well for me with every eye shadow I have tried with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment