Monday, January 4, 2016

Influenster Review: SinfulColors SinfulShine Nail Polish

This was sent to me by Influenster, for free, for the purposes of testing and review.




On the card information:

$2.99

Get over-the-top shine! Introducing SinfulColors SinfulShine 2-step manicure with GelTech.
There are 2 easy steps to a statement-making mani.
Step 1: Apply 2 coats of any of our 27 bold, vibrant colors!
Step 2: seal with our top coat for added shine and Wear!

facebook.com/sinfulcolors
Twitter: @SinfulColors_NP
Instagram: @sinfulcolors_official
#OverTheTop




The included card from SinfulColors added Easy Removal as a claim.

How it worked for me:

I did apply a base coat using the same polish I have used in past manicures recently, the Wet n Wild clear coat.

I applied the nail polish Monday evening, late in the evening.



The first coat did not go on well, it looked sheer in some places and thick in others, but it did dry quickly, 2 to 3 minutes.



The second coat I applied more generously and it did seem to cover up any of the sheer spots when I looked at it under the lighting I had at the time. This layer also appeared to dry quickly, 2 to 3 minutes.




I then applied one layer of the top coat, which also dried very quickly, but also picked up some of the color coats, which you can see in the picture of the paper napkin I wiped off the brush on after each nail; some of those streaks have a bit of reddish maroon in them.



I am including a picture of the brushes for these nail polishes. The one for the color coat, seems about average width for the nail polishes that I have used in the past. It is a little smaller than I would like it to be, but not hard to work with. The one of the top coat is very small and sometimes I would have to dip into the bottle two or three times to do one layer of top coat on the nail, particularly when trying to cover the thumb. It still worked, but I have other clear coats that are easier to apply due to having wider brushes.



By Tuesday I had a small chip on the index finger of the right hand. My husband was surprised it chipped so quickly when I showed him, I reminded him I play TsumTsum from Disney and that frequently has my tapping the screen pretty hard with my index finger, he then reminded me that a lot of people play games on tablets and phones and that they would probably expect the polish to hold up against that. So, the polish does not hold up well against tablet/phone game play. I also realized that under daylight levels you could see through the second coat of the color coat to the first coat of the color coat and tell where it had applied sheer and thick in that first coat; unfortunately I was not able to get this to show in a photograph, fortunately I think you would have to get the nail at just the right angle to the light to be able to see this and the person looking at it would have to be really close to notice.



By Wednesday I can feel the stickers I applied on top of the color polish and that were under the top coat so I can say that by now, all of the top coat has worn off. I did not apply more top coat because it did not say I needed to and if we are comparing this to gel-nails, that stay shinny on their own for two weeks, this didn't even make it two days.



By Thursday the chipping is spreading to other nails on the right hand and the stickers are beginning to rub off.



By Friday the chipping is noticeable even from a distance.



By Saturday the chipping has spread to the left hand and most of the stickers are gone.



By Sunday the chipping on the left hand is getting to be noticeable from a distances and the stickers are completely gone.

A note about my activity level, it is low. Due to medical issues, the most taxing thing the nail polish had to fend against was me typing on a keyboard and playing tablet/phone games. I did not do any cleaning during the week. I also made sure not to pick at the nails or do anything that might detract from the length of time they lasted.

When I removed the polish it got all over my finger tips as soon as the acetone came in contact with it. I was able to get it all off, but it did seem rather messy.

About the appearance of the polishes, this is purely opinion:

The color coat I received was Mirror, Mirror, which confused me, because depending on the lighting I was under it either looked dark brown or dark maroon with only a hint of red coming through, in the bottle. On the nails it mostly looked black or dark brown with the very occasional flash of maroon showing through. I will admit, this is not the color I would have chosen myself. It is not that it is a bad color, I just typically have to be in the right mood to wear a dark color and that doesn't happen often. Also, because it tended to just look black or very dark brown, the shade, which might have been really nice if more of the maroon showed through, really did not appeal to me.

The top coat, which is supposed to give a gel like appearance based on the card that came with it, did not seem to me, to be any more shinny than any other top coat I have used. It also didn't last that long, which was unfortunate but not entirely unexpected.

Overall opinion, I wouldn't use the top coat in this line if I needed the manicure to last a full work week without chipping. Though if you have the time to do your nails every day or two, the dry time on this is about 2 to 3 minutes after each layer, which is pretty quick, in my opinion and something someone who is better at doing their nails might like. Because when I do my nails I typically have a lot of excess polish outside of my nail area, doing multiple manicures in a week is not something I want to do because the clean up takes time and is not always easy. I would be curious to see what the other colors in this line look like, since their are 27 of them and I am sure at least one would appeal to me, though with the amount of nail polish I own, finding one that looks nothing like what I already have may be difficult. Then again, I did not have anything like Mirror, Mirror when I received it so there is that to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment