Thursday, April 23, 2015

Review: Colormates Lipstick & Lip Liner Duo

This lip stick and lip liner duo from Colormates was purchased at Dollar Tree for $1; it did not have a color name sticker on it anywhere I could find.



This was a lip stick I did not have high hopes for from when I had used it in the past. I remembered it as very frosty and sinking into the lines in my lips; turns out only part of that memory was accurate. The liner that comes with this lip stick is a completely different color from the lip stick itself and that turned out to be a positive because it gave me the idea to try it with different lip liners to see how the color transformed.

The liner itself is very dry and does not apply well over lip balm if you use one as a primer for your lips. It really needed to be applied directly to the lips in order to have any chance to adhere. When I tried the lip liner with a lip balm over the top, it did alright as it does give a good amount of color, but really needs something to help moisturize the lips as it is so very dry. 

The lip stick is very moisturizing so when applied over the very dry liner, no lip balm is needed. The lip stick is not completely opaque in color, but does give its color to the lip liner which results in ending up with a pink that is slightly more red and slightly deeper than the pink in the tube. This allows for some variations in the way the lip stick appears depending on what liner you use with it, something I like, as I often find myself wishing for a shade slightly different from the ones I have in lip stick form. When I first applied the lip stick, it did sink into the lines in my lips, but quickly smoothed out once I rubbed my lips together.

The wear time on this duo was good, it survived from when applied after first meal until second meal, which is as long as I typically wear any lip product. It survived drinking with a straw and blowing my nose a couple of times. Some color would transfer to the straw or tissue, but when I would check my lip stick afterwards the color still appeared the same and fully cover the lips. I could not recommend eating with this lip stick on, but that is not something I do with any lip stick. One thing I noticed with this lip stick/lip liner duo was that the lip stick stayed in place much better with this dry lip liner provided than it did with other lip liners. This also occurred with the other lip stick from this brand I tried. When worn with the lip liner provided I never had a problem with lip stick getting on my teeth. When I used a lip liner from another brand that was not as drying, the lip stick got on my teeth. This is something to consider when deciding what lip liners might work best for it. If you have drier liners already that you do not like to use, they may work better with the Colormates lip sticks duo to the moisture content provided by the lip stick itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment