Wednesday, May 6, 2015

One Note: Wet n Wild No Neutral Ground

For the week of April 26th, 2015, I tried out the Wet n Wild limited edition eye shadow palette No Neutral Ground (34210) twice. I do not think this is available anywhere anymore; mine was purchased at the Dollar Tree a while ago. On What's New Wednesday I used the white middle highlight shadow, the brown middle lid shadow, and the brown left crease/definer shadow, essentially as suggested on the back of the palette. On Second Try Saturday I used the yellow right highlight shadow, the green right lid shadow, and the green right crease/definer shadow, again, essentially as suggested on the back of the palette. For the eye shadow primer I used the Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eye Shadow Primer in CA027 For My Primas. The below were the results as far as application and wear time were concerned.



Wednesday

The shimmers in the middle highlight shadow do transfer to the brow bone, though they also transfer to the face, even after tapping off any excess product from the brush. The shimmers/glitters were not so dense that they were apparent on the brow bone unless I looked for them.

The middle lid shadow was darker than I would normally use for all over the lid, but it did apply and blend well. The color appeared as in the pan and the more subtle sheen/shimmer was not obvious on the lid once applied and blended. I would use this color again, though probably as a crease shadow with another lid color from a different palette or single.

The bottle left shadow is much darker than I would normally use and was very pigmented. It was also really hard to blend. I used one dip of the tip of the brush in the pan and one tap to each outer crease and that was more than enough for both eye lids. I spent at least 10 minutes blending the crease color in and it may have been longer when I thought back to how long it took to complete just the eye portion of the makeup that day. I also used it as a shadow liner and here it was much easier to get on and look the way I wanted, though it did have a lot of fallout to the lower lash line area even though I was applying to the upper lash line, which made the eye look extra smokey looking for me. I ended up cleaning up the lower lash line as eye products in that area tend to make the skin there painful.

The wear time on this lasted all day, at least 8 hours, probably more, it still had not creased when I went to wash it off at the end of the day.

Not an eye look I would normally wear out of the house as it was much more intense than more normal eye shadow look, but if I had only used the bottom left shadow as a liner, I probably would have been more comfortable with the look and my arms might not have hurt so much.

Second Try Saturday

The right highlight shadow was a bit confusing for me to use because it was yellow and while in some places I could see the yellow, in others, I could not, so it was a little patchy in its application. A different brush may have helped this. It also had a problem with the shimmers/glitter in the pan getting everywhere on my face, even when tapping off the excess, but again, a different brush might have helped this.

The middle right lid shadow applied very easily and blended well, actually it blended a little too well as I got it much higher in the crease than I meant to just through trying to blend the line. The color, even with all the blending, remained consistent and did appear as in the pan. This was also a bit dark for my normal lid shadow choice, but that is the point of trying to push myself with trying these.

The bottom right shadow did not creat much contrast with the middle right lid color and so ended up getting lost in the crease and along the lash line. This shadow also applied and blended easily, only it would have worked better with a lighter lid color which is how I will use it next time. I did end up applying a cream brown liner over the top of the bottom right shadow that was along the lash line which helped to give more contrast and definition to the lash line. This one did not appear to have as much fallout as its brown counter-part.

Again the wear time was good, at least 8 hours, and I did not see any creasing prior to washing my face.

This was also not an eye look I would normally wear out of the house and I am not sure I ever got used to seeing myself look that way, but that was not at the fault of the shadows.

Thoughts on the palette

The highlight shadows are going to take some work to figure out how best to use them as I wasn't that happy with either of the two I used and I am not that optimistic about how the pink will work out. I am wondering if used on top of a cream shadow base on the lid, or at the very least, the inner lid, if that could be nice as they didn't really give enough color on their own to be used as a lid color normally, but too much color for my tastes to be used as a brow bone color, particularly in the case of the yellow one. The three middle shadows are ones I am looking forward to using and I have high hopes for the purple as the other two worked so well. As to the bottom two, the dark brown will most likely only be used as a liner, and the green will probably not be used again with the green lid shadow, but perhaps the brown lid shadow as it did blend well.

One of the things I appreciate about this palette is that the purple and brown shadows look like they would play nice together and the green and brown shadows look like they would play nice together when used in looks, so you do not have to just use the coordinating rows. If I can get the top highlight shadows to work for me it will increase the variety of eye shadow looks I can get from this immensely, though it will probably be a while before I try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment